Monday, December 14, 2009

think of the children

I don't think its a stretch to say that the same few people and families have been running the Government of Guam for the last, I don't know, forever. When a new face finally made it into the Legislature, an investigation into his past shows that he had been arrested for breaking into a mall when he was in his teens. His negligence to report the "crime" when applying for candidacy has stimulated one of the bigger people's movements that I can remember (remember, this is over breaking into a mall). If people were as passionate about things that were actually important like teenage pregnancy rates or the lack of funding for the Department of Education, then I wouldn't be so bitter.

It is frustrating to see how nothing has changed on Guam. Road construction is an anomaly because they seem to be working on the same stretch of road every year. I am also surprised that the Department of Education seems to be functioning despite the number of headlines (at least a small percentage dedicated to it every year) saying how there is not enough funding to pay their teachers. How are so many of my peers already parents? Let's not even get started on energy and the active discouragement of renewable resources(how does my mom pay over $500 a month on their power bill?!). My opinion may be discredited because I had spent time living in the States but I believe I'm provided with a perspective that gives me the ability to see through the ignorance and obliviousness of the people of Guam.

And then there's the Congresswoman...

No comments: