Sunday, December 27, 2009

spanish empire residuals

Spanish colonizers' cultural imperialism and its effect on the Filipino middle class

Part 1

Three generations ago, my great grandmother/her family was part of the provincial aristocracy where etiquette and formalities were king, also where Spanish and Latin were still widespread. Her daughter (my grandmother) was in love with a man who was not of their social class. As familiarized by many dramas and tragedies, my great grandmother did not approve of him because he was "poor", prompting (again, a familiar scene) the two lovers to elope. This did not meet the time's etiquette protocol; it was pure blasphemy. Fast forward to the next generation where my grandmother, the rebel, was raising my mom and her siblings. My mom told us a story -which is my inspiration for this post- of when my mom brought her friends to their home. Once they were gone, my grandmother, states that she does not like her friends because "they don't know how to sit". If my grandmother met my friends, she would probably disown me.

Then there is my own mother who continues this legacy through the manicuring and training of my nieces, ages 1.5 and 6. They learn to "sit like a lady", to always have a bag, hair clips and other accessories that match their outfits, to stay out of the sun and to enroll in some type of fine art. There have been multiple attempts to "civilize" me but my mom, another family rebel, was too busy earning a living to bestow upon me the Geronga pedigree. I'm also pigeon toed and could probably never sit like a lady. There are still times (many times) that I am harassed for not fixing my hair or wearing high heels.

Part 2

The Filipino Channel is probably the best example of the residual power of the Spanish aristocracy. Prerequisites to being on TV includes having light skin with straight hair, the high "pointy" nose. Women, of course, must be able to "sit like a lady", be tall, wear high heels and dress tastefully. Men must be tall, clean shaven and preppy. It is not uncommon for a movie star to run for office and win. Although not necessarily an elected politician, Imelda Marcos couldn't have had her way if it weren't for her beauty queen sashes.

I also remember, growing up, we watched soap operas that were actually Spanish soap operas but dubbed in tagalog. Example: Maria Mercedes. I can still remember the lyrics to the opening song! Frances trivia part 2: When I lived in Bicol (the place where the volcano is/has erupting/erupted), I owned a pet chicken named Thalia (named after a Spanish soap star). This chicken pecked my foot one time.

Part 3

The entire middle class has a maid to take care of their children, do their laundry, cook food and run errands, leaving them to be melodramatic, acting as if their lives are a soap opera plot (and it is sometimes!). Everyone (women) believes that their lives are the hardest and everyone around them should be sympathetic.

--

Everything is a conspiracy with me

No comments: